TWILIGHT Tribute - I want to be a vampire

By: Erika Neudorf

One lazy Sunday afternoon, I got a call from a friend who wanted to go see the movie Twilight. With nothing else to do, I agreed to go with her. I can't really explain why I wanted to put up with a theatre full of giggling, hormone charged tweens throwing candy at each other - but none the less, I went. I had heard about the film and was curious as to what it was really all about and besides spending a Sunday afternoon in a dark theatre seemed somewhat enchanting.

After the film, I walked out of the cinema dying to find out what happens next. Which is really what great films should do - to keep you guessing and wanting to know more about the characters, the plot and ultimatley, the ending. After the movie I immediately called my 12 year-old cousin to borrow the second book in the series, entitled New Moon, to find out what happened next. I was officially obsessed with anything “Twilight”.
**
I have since finished the series (there are four books in total), and have come to the conclusion that I would like to be a vampire. I guess deep down I am simply enchanted by Dracula – he was hot, wasn't he? and besides he loved to drink something that resembled a glass of red wine - so I am sure we would have something in common.
**
What does this have to do with wine, you ask? Well, when you're seduced and bitten by a vampire - which in theory sounds kind of hot - you yourself change into a vampire and all of your senses become magically heightened. Everything you smell, taste and see becomes that much more enhanced and experiential to the rest of your body. Think about it for a second. Imagine smelling a wine and being able to know every single aroma in your glass. What if you knew EVERYTHING (from the vinyeard where it grew to the winemaker who touched it) about each and every particular wine by simply its smell. As a wine drinker and enthusiast that would be the greatest party trick in the book. Would red wine elicit my vampire senses and would I crave it as a vampire needs/desires human blood? Sounds like a fun experiment to me.
**
What I do know is that I can't wait for the second film to come out, that I love red wine, and that sometimes without any reason at all pictures people take of me make me look like I am in need of something red, juicy and delicious.

In honour of the Human(Bella)- Werewolf(Jacob)- Vampire(Edward) love triangle, may I suggest the following wines:

STELLA BELLA SHIRAZ 2006 $20.95
This Stella Bella Shiraz (from Margaret River, Western Australia) shows that Australia does in fact produce many different styles of shiraz from its various wine regions. This wine is unlike other Aussie Shiraz, and is a nice escape from the big, jammy Shiraz typically available at the LCBO. Aromas of ripe plum, white pepper, and black licorice with a perfectly balanced finish.



JACOB'S CREEK RESERVE SHIRAZ 2006 $17.45
Although Jacob’s Creek is a massive producer of wine in Australia, their wines rarely disappoint. I was blown away by the value of this wine. It is very deep in colour, with aromas of black fruit, vanilla, and spice. It is a great wine to drink now, but I also bought some to put away for a few years…if it lasts!

To read Erika's 2 Bottles & 2 Questions Interview Click here
For more information on Twilight the Movie Click here